This project was the 2nd only bag project I have attempted after the earlier Zig Zag Tote and I was a bit intimidated. However, it was a lot simpler to follow the directions in the book without getting into trouble.
There are a lot of great versions of this messenger bag on the Flickr group but I kind of stuck with the original colour palette in the book and I am so happy with the results.
The rest of the fabrics, for the leaves, came from the scrappy solids I had lurking around. The outer body of the bag is from the previously purchased Essex linen in natural. Now the inner lining fabric is from Alexander Henry and I only had 1 yard of it instead of the 1.5 stated in the book, but I managed to stretch it by using the linen for the outer pocket lining.
Lining - I changed the layout of the inner pockets in the lining, added some interfacing and also added a magnetic clasp to keep the inside closed. I have seen a few ladies use these to keep the flap closed but I had already made the flap and could not work out how to put it in without a lot of unpicking and rethinking.
Straps - The pattern called for a 1.5" strap in the same fabric but I wanted to show off some of the great lining fabric and so I went back to the Zig Zag Tote instructions to make a 2-toned version. Unfortuately I miscalculated and mine ended up at 2" wide. They kind of squished into the 1.5" tri-bar slider.
There are only 2 things that I am unhappy about:
1. Is the stain that the basting spray made on my leaves because I really overused it.
2. My mother has requested the bag for her August birthday present (so that means that I have to make myself another one eventually). It's nice that she liked it that much though. I am making her a matching Zakka Style Orchard Tweed Pouch to go inside as a surprise.
I am linking up with...