This is one of the loveliest and practical projects in the book BUT it takes a LOT of time! I think I would have spent a good 10 hours on this project doing the boxes as per the pattern in the book.
Fabric and Cutting
The fabric comes from Howard Marcus' 'Collections for a Cause' and is called 'Hope'. I have some leftover jelly roll strips from a queen-sized quilt, a bag, a dresser runner and placemats.
I find that cutting everything out first is helpful. I decided to use the spotty fabric for the lining rather than linen.
I highly recommend reading through a couple of the posts by faithful Amanda The Patchsmith and Debbie at A Quilter's Table. There is also an alternative method of construction posted by Wendy the Crafter's Apprentice.
I followed Amanda's tip for sewing bottom in an opposite sequence.
Hand sewing the box together took ages...so watch some good drama. I've been watching 'Wallander' and 'Case Histories'.
Fabric Wastage - I struggled with the fact that the batting and lining was a good deal bigger than was needed. It had me scratching my head late at night and then again in the morning. Thanks to Debbie, for also noting the same problem - otherwise I would have thought I was crazy. Rather than cut it off I decided to fold it over and use it under the binding.
Binding - Then I used a 3" wide jelly roll strip in a single-fold binding. I should have thought about making the ends neat and tucked beforehand - but I ended up having to spend extra time unpicking, trimming and re-sewing them to get a clean finish.
I added fusible interfacing to the sides of the box which gave it a good stiffness at the end. I forgot to add some to the bottom and they are noticeably softer even with quilting.
I decided to keep the decoration simple so I left out the leaf applique.
They nest nicely and...
match my dresser runner.
Linking up with...