Monday 21 May 2012

To Brighten Up

Kayla rugs up
I can't imagine how difficult it must be to face a disease like Leukemia and then all the painful side effects from radiation and chemotherapy designed to treat it. So when I heard that young single mother of two, Kayla, was having to spend weeks away from her family, my heart went out to her.
Kayla and best friend Dani
My online Quilting Bee and I had made a bright scrappy log cabin quilt in February and I offered it, to a local auction, to raise funds for Kayla. However, her best friend Dani, thought that keeping it for Kayla might be a better idea. It is certainly bright enough to brighten up anyone's day.


The latest news is that Kayla is doing so much better that her kids have been able to visit her in hospital. Kayla comes from a small town that raised nearly $10 000 to pay for her respite accommodation while she is in treatment. The community have been so supportive. 
Live, Love, Laugh
up-cycled pillowcase carry bag
We all pray for her recovery.


Quilt Club Australia Bee


QCA was born out of a group that made simple lap quilts for the children and elderly of the Lockyer Valley in Queensland. This, mostly farming, community was devastated by an 'inland tsunami' during the Great Queensland Floods of January 2011.
This year we began our first Bee groups. I chose February and a scrappy log cabin design. The 11 other ladies sent me their blocks and I sewed them together in March.  Considering the different machines and quilters, I only had to adjust 6 seams to make them all line up correctly. I machine quilted the diagonals and shadowed the ditch where the blocks joined.  
Through this group I have learned that quilting can make a cheerful difference to someone going through a difficult time. Our Bee has further quilts to make for causes and that makes my heart glad.
I am linking up with...

Amy's Creative Side

11 comments:

  1. That's pretty special! Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So bright and cheerful! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful and so bright and colourful! A lovely gift for a special person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks gorgeous! So great she loves it and it can help to brighten her day! =D


    I'm hosting a new swap over at my blog if anyone is interested please pop over for a look =D

    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/goodie-bag-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh looks like the quilt is a hit with Kayla! So great to hear she's been well enough for her kids to visit. Praying the good news continues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayla will be in my prayers! Your quilt has brought her great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow a stunning story and great job of the quilt just love it .

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's lovely and very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely quilt and a lovely gesture. I wish the best for Kayla!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful effort by so many...hoping Kayla will continue to improve!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.