Today in Australia is the official Biggest Morning Tea to raise money for cancer research.
This week I decided that I would plant some bulbs into some of the garden beds. I started with daffodils (the logo of the Cancer Council of Australia) and yellow jonquils.
Although the soil looks rich and red (see the spot on the bottom right), it is actually quite dry and poor. So I had to do some serious soil improvement using compost.
Step by Step Guide to Planting Bulbs
1. Pull the weeds.
2. Break up the soil.
3. Dig holes for the bulbs according to the directions on the packet. The daffodils and jonquils needed to be placed 10cm deep and at least 5cm apart.
4. Pack the bulbs with composted soil.
5. Cover the soil with sawdust rich with broken down chicken manure. Water in.
6. Spread mulch over the soil to prevent weeds. I used sugar cane mulch. Dampen.
7. Mulch again with leaf litter or recycled wood chips.
8. Admire the preparation and wait for Spring.
9. Enjoy a cup of tea and make a donation for cancer research.
Linking up to New to Me in May at Celtic Thistle Stitches with Fiona