Friday 4 November 2011

A Legacy of Liberty

I have been working on a secret project this past week. I can't elaborate on the recipient yet but I can show the work.



When my mum did a HUGE de-stash, earlier this year, one of the things I inherited was 21 log cabin blocks in Liberty fabrics. I have never tried a log cabin block before and I was a little apprehensive...but it was easier than I thought. I needed to make another 3 blocks to create symmetry and come up with a good top.


Unfortunately each block was a different size. The least was 11 1/2"  x  11 7/8" and the largest was 12 3/4" x 12 1/4". So I took a gamble and decided to trim all of the blocks to a 12 x 12". Those that were undersized would have to be paired in such a way as to make the most of the seam allowance and make up the difference.




I was able to fudge the piecing of the blocks somewhat.


I still had enough of the printed fabric to add a light border and a second border with the darker fabrics.


I also had enough of the strips to add to the pieced back to bump out the dimensions.


I am not a big fan of the apricot but there was plenty of it...maybe even enough leftover to make some matching pillow covers as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.