Friday 13 December 2013

Dedicating Parterre Garden



Mrs Pickup is a remarkable teacher. She has dedicated 43 years of her career to the youngest students of the Primary School.

She taught my son Duncan in 2009 and was the first to suggest that he might have Asperger's Syndrome. 

She taught my daughter Frances this year and suggested that she might be better off to repeat Kindergarten in 2014.

Her name is prophetic because she is very perceptive.

With her level of experience I value her insight and opinions. I often find her working late, in the holidays and on her regular day off. Aside from her extreme dedication, she is very kind hearted and honest. And she has a strong faith in God.

Next year she is taking long service leave to have a knee replacement. She is not sure if she will return to school in 2015.

I wanted to make her something special to throw over her legs in the hospital or at home. 

This quilt has been 18 months in the making if you consider that I made the top at a Mystery Quilt weekend in Coffs Harbour last year. I even finished the back (mostly) last year.


I had it professionally quilted in September at Rainbow Patchwork. I finished the binding two weeks ago. Then I had to free motion quilt the label last weekend.

The school was not giving Mrs Pickup a formal farewell and so a few of the mums got together and had the kids make a special gift for her. Then on Monday we all surprised her with our gifts.

She was already quite fragile that morning but she shed a few open tears in front of the kids, teachers and parents.

We will sure miss our beautiful Mrs Pickup. 



Linking up to TGIFF and I Quilt at Pretty Bobbins.

7 comments:

  1. Oh that is just lovely Fiona. I imagine she was so touched by your thoughtfulness. She sounds like a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweat what you ladies did , it is hard to find a good and understanding teacher .Hopefully se will be back after her well deserved brake. You made her a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful and thoughtful gift for a very special teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful beautiful quilt Fiona! It's so lovely to be able to show a special person just how much they mean to not only you, but a community xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very thoughtful gift which I'm sure she will always cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, what a wonderful gift for a wonderful teacher. It's beautiful, Fiona. I think I like the back almost as much as the front! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.