Wednesday 27 February 2013

A Retro Fit


A few Wednesdays back I was thinking about the back of my dresser runner which was just a plain French General textured solid. I wrote how I wished I had made it double sided. I wondered how on earth I could retro-fit my runner with a couple of nine patch squares.

Well the lovely Sheila, from Blue Patch Quilter, came up with a suggestion. This is what she wrote in my comments section.

Try this technique - Cut squares of iron-on lightweight Vilene/interfacing. Place your blocks right side down onto the gluey side of a square and sew together all the way round using a 1/4" seam. Now make a slit in the interfacing and turn through - poke corners and smooth without pressing with an iron.The gluey side will now be on the back of your block. Place on to the back of your runner and when happy with position, press with a warm to hot iron. You now have the look of needle turn applique and could reinforce with some slip stitching.

So I tried it. And it worked! Hooray.




I still need to reinforce it with some invisible hand stitching.

Thank you Sheila.


This Week's  Sewing  Stats

Completed projects  -  1 - Winter Solstice lap quilt gift 

Currently in progress -  Dresser Runner (back)
                                                                                           
Yet to start  - "You Little Ripper!" paper pieced block for Feb
                           
On Hold projects   Tall Boy Runner (top complete)
                                     
                                 
Gifting the Winter Solstice Quilt

Tomorrow I am driving Goldie, her parents and nephew to the International Airport in Brisbane. I gave Lao Lao her special lap quilt on Sunday when we had them over for a lamb barbeque. She was very touched to receive something handmade. Goldie and I wrote the dedication in English and Mandarin on the back of the quilt.                                    


After a year of living with her and her family, Goldie will be rather sad to see them fly home to China and so we are stopping off at IKEA on the way home to cheer her spirits...(oh and buy some much needed cutlery as most of my forks have disappeared!)


Linking up with WiP Wednesday early if I can.

4 comments:

  1. How lovely to have found a solution to your runner problem. I'll remember that technique. Where do forks go? I think they probably hang out with the missing socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to find a solution to your problem. =) Visiting from WIP Wednesday. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your dresser runner looks great, it is wonderful that you were able to put her advice to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The runner turned out beautifully! I think I am going to use that technique to do a quilt label.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.